Thursday, October 29, 2015

Forgiveness to the Extreme!

     At the age of ten, children tend to be very tender spiritually and open to spiritual insights.  The other night I was tucking my older son in after our evening devotions which dealt with forgiveness and we touched on some events which had transpired in his life recently involving forms of bullying. Matthew looked up at me and said very seriously, "Daddy, it would really be difficult to forgive someone who murdered me.  But I would have to forgive him because if I didn't, I would have to  live with it forever."  I did not bother to explain the obvious that if someone murdered him, he would not have a chance to forgive him.  Sometimes it is better to allow the child to internalize the idea that forgiveness is important, and when I refuse to forgive, I am actually hurting myself.  I am a firm believer in the power of forgiveness to cleanse hurts and repair relationships.   However, after I left his bedroom, my wife and I still had a good laugh.
      I just allowed my son to read this blog and asked him if he knew why Daddy got a good laugh out of that.  He was puzzled and replied "No."  I explained to him that if he had been murdered, then he would be dead, thus unable to forgive.  He looked at me and with no change of expression answered, "No, I was talking about you getting murdered." I was certain he said "me" when he mentioned getting murdered. Guess Daddy has to sharpen his hearing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...