Sunday, August 23, 2015

My Son, I Am Sorry!

     Yesterday, I had an epiphany that hit me like a ton of bricks.  My sons and I were doing some yard work, pruning trees and pulling wild grape vines om some of our trees.  After working for some time together, my younger son became weary and sought refuge inside the house.  My elder son, however, continued to work alongside me throughout the afternoon, stopping to rest only when I went inside for a drink.  About five minutes after I returned to my work, my son rejoined me.  Time and again as we worked together, Matthew made comments such as "Daddy, this is the best day ever" and "This is so much fun."  I know that I was exhausted from pruning thick branches and using all my strength to haul heavy grape vines that were entangled in the from their grip upon the trees so I am sure he was exhausted too.When my wife called us in for dinner, I tried to get him to go in to clean up while I finished a couple of minor things in the yard.  He refused to go, wanting to stay with me until we were completely finished.  After dinner he came to me, looked up at me and asked if he could come to the school library with me on Monday to help me with some work in the library. "Ï get bored at home without you,"he said.   I realized that this little boy (not so little anymore) was just hungry for his daddy's complete attention.  I knew for a long time that he was close to me, but suddenly it struck me that at a time when peers are becoming more important to children than their parents, he was saying, "Daddy, I want to be with you."  It is so easy to become so involved with other things, we miss out on some of the most important things in life, like the needs of our children.  My son,, I owe you an apology.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...