Monday, December 23, 2013

Daddies Occasionally Blow It


     We all blow it from time to time.  Unfortunately, I am not immune from this problem.  Pictured above is my elder son, Matthew.  He is generally a well behaved little boy, albeit a most enthusiastic and energetic one.  He has a motor that seems to run continuously from about seven in the morning until late evening.  Trying to keep him on a regular bedtime can be a chore.  We attempt to have him in bed along with his younger brother by 9:00 P.M. every evening; however, that is easier said than done.  The litany of excuses for getting out of bed sometimes seem endless.  The other night I became so perturbed by his refusal to go to sleep that I finally threatened to spank him.  Later, when I went into his room to check on him, I found a note on the door of his room, a real act of contrition.  In it he wrote, "Daddy, I am so sorry about this evening.  But I could not go to sleep without Junior."
     To really understand what he meant by this, one must know who Junior is.  Junior is his little teddy bear, a raggedy bear that he still has from his early childhood.  This teddy bear means so much to him; he has frequently rejected our suggestions that we buy a new bear to replace this worn out, dirty, old bear.  After a day filled with the excitement of numerous visiting children, when it came time for bed, he was unable to locate his Junior.  Knowing how much Junior means to him, I hunted all over for him to no avail.  I had to finally tell him that he had to go to bed without his Junior.  He did not fuss much, but he was up and out of his bed frequently until the threat of a spanking hung over him.  However, when I went into his room, I found him with my old flannel shirt wrapped around him in lieu of his Junior.  The next morning as he came out of his room, he said, "At least I had something to think of you with me last night, Daddy."  Perhaps I was a bit harsh upon him this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...