Saturday, November 16, 2013

Giving Thanks 2013



         Approaching the Thanksgiving holidays, once again I am reminded of all that I have for which to be grateful.  It is so easy sometimes to become so focused on what I don't have that it is easy to overlook my blessings and take them for granted.  Seeing the devastation in the Philippines, reading news headlines of those who have suffered terribly this year, I can only thank the Lord for my many blessings including safety and health.  God has given me a strong, healthy body and mind, and for that I thank him.  I am so blessed to have a loving wife and two young sons who provide me with many great and unforgettable moments each year.   I am frequently reminded of this blessing when they come over to me and  curl up with me when I am reading or watching a football game. The quote from Dickens' A Christmas Carol where the Spirit of Christmas Present remarks to Scrooge that Bob Cratchit receives five times the amount of love each day of the week. The distinct meaning is conveyed that this is something that money cannot buy.  How true!  When they are playing with each other, I thank God for their closeness and love for one another as well as their fantastic creativity.  Having one of them come out to share a snack while I am splitting wood for the fireplace is always a treat.  My wife provides me with another reason to be grateful, a loving and supportive presence through whatever storms we pass.   Then I am reminded of the plenty on the table each day and the warmth and comfort of our home, and I have more reason to give thanks.  But perhaps the greatest blessing for which I am thankful is the gift of salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ.  That the almighty God of the universe would come down to this earth and live as a man and then give his own life up so I could live is truly mind boggling.  This Thanksgiving will be a special day of gratitude for me and my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...