Thursday, May 23, 2013

Wrapping It Up!

     
     It has been a really good school year, and we are now finishing it off with a flourish.  My boys really enjoyed their first year of home school and did very well.  We have already received our curriculum from Sonlight for next year, and my older son is really excited about that. Knowing how much my son will enjoy that curriculum, I too am excited about next year.  Having started my son on an independent reading program towards the end of the year, I have structured a continuation of that program for the summer.  I have him read for half an hour every day, and he is really enjoying it.
     At the end of the year, I spent some time  weighing the positives and negatives of our home school experience.  The first observation I made was that it actually drew us closer together.  The boys and I had a great time both in and out of the classroom.  Additionally, I received a greater insight into my little boys, their passions and their abilities.  Another benefit of homeschooling was the benefit of one on one instruction.  Certainly this could not be minimized.  Being able to spend that much time with my sons, I was able to really emphasize the areas of education that would most benefit them.  Then there was the tremendous allowing us to maximize the learning experience for them.  However, there were drawbacks along the way.  One of the drawbacks I observed was that I am not strong in the area of the fine arts.  Another weakness is the lack of social interaction.  We did plan for outside social interaction, but it still was somewhat limited; however, the benefits far outweighed the disadvantages.  It has been a great year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...