Sunday, March 11, 2012

Texas, A State of Extremes





      When I was camping around the United States, my first overnight stay in the desert was in Texas.  Hot and dry when I sacked out that night, desert temperatures drop quickly in the middle of the night.  I found that a desert night could get quite cool and eventually had to curl up in my sleeping bag.  The next morning I would travel to San Antonio where I spent a wonderful two days reliving the history of the Alamo. While the scene was almost idyllic,  "Remember the Alamo!" almost seemed to ring out from the walls of this mission in San Antonio.  Inside, of course, the utmost of reverence and silence is demanded, bringing to mind the somber reality of the sacrifice of the heroes who fought there.  I spent a good amount of time reminiscing upon some of the stories I had read of this place in bygone days.
     However, the Alamo is not the only attraction in San Antonio. The market square and the historic old city were fascinating places to visit.  I would also spend a great deal of time on the River Walk.  An evening stroll along the river is a fantastic way to end a day in San Antonio, observing the small boatloads of visitors glide through the water or sitting down to eat outside in the cool air down by the river banks.  Great scenery with tiny waterfalls along the way keep the visitor's attention.  The temperatures along the river provide a welcome relief from the heat of the day that I experienced as I wandered through the city of San Antonio.  All in all, San Antonio was a great place to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...