Friday, February 3, 2012

Sharing: A Little Boy's Concept



     My youngest son, Everett, has a very big heart.  While he is just like every other little boy and has times when he hangs on to his own things for dear life, much of the time he is very generous, almost to a fault.  He receives rewards at church at times for memorizing his verse and inevitably will ask for one for his brother.  The first thing he does after getting out of his class is to offer the matching reward to Matthew.  There have been times when he did not get an extra that he even divided his treat so his brother could have some.

    Although we have always been very pleased with Everett's generosity, recently we were more than a little chagrined at a strange turn to his benevolence.  My wife had just bought him a new pair of gloves this winter after his old pair had mysteriously disappeared.  Recently my wife had sent him to school with his gloves as the weather had turned rather cold.  Noticing that evening upon his arrival home that his gloves were missing, my wife questioned my son about there whereabouts.  Everett's prompt response was that he had given those nice gloves to a classmate at school because he had none.  My wife tried to explain to Everett that we could not afford to buy new gloves and hand them out to all his friends, but Everett looked up at her and with unshakeable confidence in his logic said, "But Mommy, I just wanted to share with my friend because he didn't have any gloves.  Isn't that what Jesus wants me to do?"  How does one refute such logic?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...