Friday, August 14, 2009

Adventures on the Farm

On the farm the challenge was to see how dirty we could get in a day's time, and the feed pile was an awesome place to do just that. Of course, we were not concerned about getting buried in the pile or inhaling major portions of dust. This was just great fun!
Then there was climbing and jumping in the hayloft, building houses in corners with broken bales, and running through dark tunnels in the hay searching for treasure. Did it bother us that there were open trapdoors to the next level down? Not us. We were indestructible. Besides, this was just too much fun. Only worry warts like moms and dads are concerned about those little details.
Now this was something I could really get into---even if only for a little while. My patience ran out when the husks just did not want to cooperate; However, the ride in the wagon carrying those husks a little later was a lot of fun. Somehow Mom seemed to really dig this corn husking thing. Go figure!
All this fuss about these big stupid creatures called cows! To me it seems that the only things they do are eat, sleep, eat some more and then stand in a row while the big people do something to them; and on top of all that they truly do stink!
Now this I can really get into. Some little kids may want to drive race cars, but I want to drive a skid loader just like Uncle Glenn. I must try these handles; one of them will surely make it go forward and maybe the other will even lift the scoop.
Now just what does Uncle Glenn do when he brings those buckets of calf food down here? I want to get it right and do it exactly as he did it. I do know he took two buckets so I have that part right.
Now this is the life---a real skid loader ride. Okay, so we are not going up in the air and spinning around the way Uncle Glenn does it when he is scooping food into the mixer, but it is still an awesome ride.
I have had better swings, but this makeshift one will do for now. It does provide me with a little bit of fun while I wait for things to liven up here on the farm.
Now this is definitely not my cup of tea. Attending a stupid produce auction is downright boring. I can't even understand what that guy is trying to say. He talks even faster than I do when I am trying to be difficult. Besides, what can I do except look at the horse and wagons here, and that gets old after a while.
Now this is more like it. We can get a little exercise here right in the dining room after a big meal, in which, by the way, everyone ate like hogs except the two of us. This is great fun climbing all over Uncle Glenn and having him tickle us.
Hm! I wonder if the kitty is safe to touch. Does she bite or scratch? Worse still, will she try to attack me if I get any nearer. I have to try. Like they say, "Curiosity killed the cat!"
Wow! This is a huge bottle, and this calf is pulling on it like crazy. I had better hold it back a little bit. I don't want my whole arm going into her mouth. Still she seems rather harmless and I do want to be a big helper.
Let's see if we can move some of this garden dirt around for them. I am sure they will be grateful for my assistance. I was even able to get a chain and use it just like Uncle Glenn.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my!! There is just sooo much fun to had on a farm. And getting dirty is the best part. MB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics! I love farms more and more as I have embraced a natural lifestyle! What a perfect place for kids to play and explore life!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...