Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Watery Wednesday

A fantastic place to vacation, Assateague, has become a family favorite. I love the vastness of the ocean and, in this case, the apparent peacefulness of what appears to be a glassy, quiet sea. On this particular trip, however, looks are deceiving. This was a day before we were hit by a tropical storm. I remember that day vividly. We huddled in the tent all day as gale force winds struck without letup. I sat in the tent literally trying to hold the side against which the wind was blowing up, or it would have flattened the tent. Finally the winds let up as the storm moved out to sea, but that was one experience which we will never forget. Our vacation was not spoiled though because we had four out of five days of beautiful weather sandwiching the storm. The nice part about that storm was that we had almost no mosquitoes the whole time we were there. To see more watery wednesday photos please go to WATERY WEDNESDAY and join us and share your photos.

14 comments:

  1. Great shot. How often do you see horses on the beach? Well, maybe you do (smile), but I don't. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been to Assateague but I know about the wild horses there and think it'd be a GREAT place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photo. I don't see horses on the beach either only dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Horses and beaches go so well together. Both so beautiful in their own rights and greatly complimenting eachother. A great capture indeed. Love the froffy water rolling in on the sand.
    Huh! You had a holiday memory that will last, That is for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think its always a good experience to know that one can survive a storm. It feels scary at the time, but then one comes to realize that it was a unique experience that we will always carry with us. I've been there holding tents up in high winds too.

    I always like seeing horses on the beach, because I usually don't expect them there, so it becomes a nice surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous picture. I am glad you survived the storm and were able to enjoy most of the time on vacation.
    Smiles
    B

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a lovely horses, the little one is so cute. Visit my watery video here and thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely!
    Have you ever been there to watch the ponies swim? (I used to live in Virginia.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic photo, thanks for sharing.

    Cheers and Happy New Year!
    Regina In Pictures

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting shot seeing horses wandering the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice and I love the horses just standing around, very much at ease. Guess they aren't too worried about the coming storm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been to Assateague and Chincoteague and I have seen the wild ponies. Really something!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The storm would freak me out lol. At least, it's just one day and not the whole vacation days. THis is really a stunning shot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love your photography and the slight angle of the sand and horizon.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...